This soft toss drill has three purposes:
- Insure perfect timing
- Eliminate stride portion of swing to allow hitter to focus on swing
- Achieve good contact with ball
Set-up and drill
- Player assumes normal stance.
- Wheeler Dealer is placed slightly in front of hitters from leg, and pointed towards front thigh.
- Player takes normal stride and stops.
- Hitter remains in this position for entire drill. Do not take another stride.
- Set Wheeler Dealer height setting to be thigh high for front thigh of hitter. Adjust toss frequency.
- Player takes normal swing (without stride), focusing on swing mechanics and solid contact.
- When solid contact is made consistently, toss frequency can be increased.
Using the Wheeler Dealer to do the soft toss, provides consistency and gives the coach time to watch and help with proper swing techniques.